The Grid course format is popular with some of our clients. Unfortunately this plugin is poorly coded, and there are on-going issues with it. The problems are mainly related to backing up and restoring the course.
If you decide to use the Grid format, when editing, it is best to change it to Topics format, do the edits, then when the course is ready, change it back to the Grid format if you are prepared to risk problems.
Known issue: randomly losing image links (particularly images in Topic summaries)
This is a known issue affecting courses using the Grid course format. The cause is software bugs with the Grid format.
In the meantime, there are workarounds:
- Don’t use the grid format. Use a different one.
- In some cases the user can try to re-upload the missing image
- See new work-around below
There is no guarantee that this will stop issues occurring with the Grid format, which is a non-core, third party plugin.
Mohamed from Chisholm has come up with a much better work-around!
1. Under course settings, go to course format > set the image container width
2. Change the current one to select a different size (eg320 > 256)
3. Click save, and all the missing images will come back!
You can then re-edit to the original size if required.
Thanks so much for this work-around suggestion Mohamed!